Friday, May 24, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day weekend.

oldestvet.jpeg

Celebrating his 107th Veterans Day is Texas's oldest veteran Richard Arvine Overton. Richard says that he will spend his day at his Texas home, he built himself upon returning World War II, with a cigar in one hand and a cup of whiskey-stiffened coffee nearby. Overton was born on May 11, 1906 and says that he still has the strength to stand up and do anything. His mind is good so he will do what he wants. Overton passes the time by smoking up to 12 cigars a day and aspirin with a little soda water.
Overton believes he is the oldest vereran in the country, not just Texas. He wishes that he could spend his day reliving war stories with fellow veterans; but he has outlived most if not all of them.

"I know I had someone from my platoon until recently, but he passed so now I don't have anyone that I know." he said. "So I feel lonesome by myself sometimes. I would love to ask some of the questions, but nobody is here. Everybody's passed."

No comments:

Post a Comment